Entry 155 : [PREVIEW] Fujifilm X-T1

Hey, there!
Just so you know, before you read on I would like to state here that this is NOT a full review.
Well, most of my reviews aren't "full reviews" because I don't test them out in the real world.
Nonetheless, this entry will only serve as a preview or brief first look at the latest addition to the Fujifilm X-series of so-called "DSLR killers":

Fujifilm X-T1
Shot using a Nikon D7100 + 35 f1.8G DX + SB700

Right off the bat, anyone who is into vintage, old-school analogue film cameras would be seduced by the sleek, beautiful design of the top plate and dials.

Left: Fujifilm X-T1
Right: Nikon FE10

On the right side, there is the dial for exposure compensation, which now ranges from -3 EV to +3 EV, a stop more than the -2 EV to +2 EV featured up to the X100s and X-E2, and a shutter speed dial that has a smaller metering dial built-in under it.
On the left side, there is the dedicated ISO dial with a smaller drive dial underneath it.
Most Fujifilm lenses have built-in aperture rings, but the front and rear dials on the body are useful, too.
All the dials are responsive and the fact that it doesn't have an AUTO mode put a wide grin on my face.
The grip is solid and in my opinion much more comfortable than the Sony A7 cameras.
The body plus 18-55 lens is far lighter than my DSLR with any combination of lens.
To sum it up, it is a magnificent camera to handle.

Here are some of the essential specs of the camera:

• 16.3MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS II sensor
  • ISO 200-6,400 natively, extends to ISO 100-51,200
  • Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Program exposure modes only
  • -3 EV - +3 EV in 1/3 stop
  • 1/4000 sec. max mechanical shutter speeed, 1/32000 sec. max electronic shutter speed 
  • Continuous burst up to 8 fps, depending on SD card
  • 100% electronic viewfinder with 0.77x magnification
  • Full HD 1080p at max 60p movie recording
  • 49 contrast detection AF points
  • 11 type film simulation
  • Tilting LCD screen
  • Wi-Fi enabled

On its own, it has quite impressive specs.
However, compared to its predecessors, there isn't much change, especially from the X100s.
Or is there?

Now, as I said before, I'm not here to give a break down of its functions and such as I usually do.
On the surface, it shoots okay and produces some nice files.

RAW file processed in Lightroom
Shot using a Fujifilm X-T1 + FUJINON XF56mm f1.2R

There's been a lot of talk about how beautiful the JPEGs are from Fujifilm digital cameras, but the JPEGs from the X-T1 didn't really impress me.
However, nothing I say here is anywhere near definitive and there have been thousands of other testimonials that will swiftly debunk mine.

Anyway, two key features that I didn't forget to use this time were the tilting screen and WiFi!

A photo I immediately uploaded after I played around with the X-T1
Screenshot of my iPhone

The WiFi is super quick to transfer photos but it does take a while to connect with the smartphone.
The tilting screen would have been a delight to use, if I wasn't so awkward using it.
My attempt at practically using it was a total failure but I guess that's just my punishment for being a snob against tilting screens.
However, the responsiveness of the camera while in live view was exponentially better than any DSLR I've used and I was really happy with that.

Another thing I would like to mention is the EVF.
I've always loathed using EVFs.
They lag, they're small and it's like watching a computer screen every time I look into it.
But the EVF of the X-T1 is something else.
It was big, quick and had no lag, at all; even when I half-press it.
However it still felt like I was peeping into a relatively small computer screen because it was SO DAMN BRIGHT!
But I guess, in terms of EVFs, that's a good thing?

All in all, there really isn't much I can say or comment on about this camera.
I loved the 56mm f1.2 lens, though.
It wasn't as sharp as I've heard wide open but still, I only got to use for a jiffy.

I honestly wish I can make a full "real-world" review of this and other cameras.
I've tried to get in touch with Fujifilm but they won't return my e-mails.
(If you have any contacts there, do casually mention my name and website.
I'll treat you some cookies!)
There are so many other features that I need to test out such as the auto focus, the low-light capabilities, the burst and also the tracking.

What I can say about the Fujifilm X-T1 is that it is a pleasure to have and to hold.
You'll look like a proper old-school photographer but armed with new age technology.
Despite not using it on a shoot or on a commission, I wouldn't think that this camera would suit the stuff I do, such as concerts and corporate gatherings.
It is rugged, but doesn't feel like a real workhorse like my D7100.
Or maybe it is.
Let's just hope that I do get one to really grind and peruse.
Until then.

Check out the photos from this preview and more at my Flickr gallery here.

DISCLAIMER: I do not represent Fujifilm, Nikon or any other brand that might be showcased in this review. This review is written for THE FEAR and is of no significance to any sort of argument that may or may not ensue. I deliver this with utmost honesty and sincerity.

Comments