Entry 190 : Review - Fujifilm X-T10

Hey, there!
Before we get started, I just want to let you know if you scroll all the way down to the bottom of this entry, you can watch me shoot the camera on the streets of JB!
It was really fun making that video and I hope that from now on, I'll be creating more review videos, as well as the obligatory written review.

Now then, let's get started.
Today, we're looking at the Fujifilm X-T10.

Fujifilm X-T10 + Fujinon XF 27mm f2.8

I got to borrow the Fujifilm X-T10 and X-T1 for two months from Fujifilm Malaysia, exactly at the same time I got to borrow the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, which might explain why I keep trying to draw comparisons between the cameras.
But I really don't want to because after really testing these cameras out, I feel like my style of photography changes according to the body I use.
More on that at the end.

Design, Operation & Feel

I believe that Fujifilm struck gold with their creation of the X-T1, and when it first came out I was dead set on putting it on the top of my wishlist, and for good reason, too.
It had the look of an awesome camera and the specs to back it up.
So, when the X-T10 came out and was immediately coined as the "cheaper X-T1", I frankly didn't have high hopes for it.

I imagined a plastic build, flimsy handling and a gimmicky design.
Fortunately, I WAS SO WRONG.

X-T10 > model

The X-T10 has that same rubbery, tough feel as the X-T1 and felt exceptionally comfortable in my hands, even if it was quite a small form factor.
The lack of weather-sealing wasn't that obvious and the camera was built quite solidly.
The overall look of the camera was kind of too rectangular, but I think that it gave it its own charm.

Still no match for the X-T1's flawless design

I really liked the handling of the camera, where the front mold was just enough to give me a firm grip on the camera, but not too extreme that it takes away from the minimalist exterior.
The top dials worked great, where the exposure compensation was very clicky and the shutter speed dial was placed quite naturally near the shutter button like most analogue cameras I've used before.

One thing of note, the D-pad on the rear of the X-T10 felt much better and more tactile than the one on the X-T1.
It didn't feel as recessed, which was a very good thing.

Operations-wise, the camera was very responsive.
I really love using the dedicated shutter dials on the X-T10 and X-T1; it just eliminates the hassle of having to meticulously turn a rear dial by 3 stops to step up or step down (assuming 1/3 stop adjustments).
This was especially helpful when I went full photojournalist mode, shooting fast-paced moments when writing my VSCO Journal™ entry here using the X-T1.

Although I did miss having the dedicated ISO dial

Furthermore, the X-T10 rarely ever lags due to any sort of processing bug or electronical hiccups.
The boot time was fairly okay and didn't cause me to miss any shots.

Besides that, the EVF on the Fujifilm X-T10 was superb!
The colors it rendered were beautiful and it actually made me more excited to just keep shooting.
As with the EVF on the Olympus E-M5 MkII, there was absolutely no frame lag; as if I was shooting with an OVF, only with much, much better visualization.
Even when I was shooting on an extremely hazy day, the EVF retained all the color and contrast of the surroundings.

Although the EVF of the X-T10 isn't quite as large as the X-T1, it was damn well just as good

However, despite all the awesome things about the X-T10, it still does have its shortcomings.
The first being the extremely loose front and rear dials.

Oh, how I hated these dials.

They always, ALWAYS easily turned and threw my settings off, resulting in inaccurate exposures and unwanted changes in depth of field.
Even when I'm just holding the camera, I would often accidentally brush against the dial and it would still cause adjustments.
The dials on the X-T1 didn't have this problem and I was really frustrated with this particular flaw.

Besides that, the built-in flash was just unusable.
Sure, it will give you some degree of fill light, but I would have liked it more if it had more power and if it could at least have Commander mode.

There was a CMD setting but I don't know what that was because it wouldn't sync with my speedlight.

The battery life was fairly okay.

I didn't take it out on long shoots like I did with the Olympus E-M5 MkII (mostly because I was only equipped with street photography-style lenses), but I did take it out on several shooting sessions on a single battery and it held up well.
Even so, when I took the X-T1 out (they have the same battery) with only about 60-70% battery, it didn't even last two hours of continuous shooting, so I hope that gives a general indication of the battery life.

Also, I didn't particularly like using the tilting screen of the X-T10; not because it wasn't good, but because it didn't suit my style of photography.
It might attract those who like to shoot from the hip or from extremely low/high angles.
That's alright, though, because I would have detested a fully articulating screen on the X-series cameras because it would take away from the beautiful design.

Overall, the exterior look and the functional operations of the X-T10 were quite brilliant, despite one or two major flaws.

Autofocus, Tracking & Burst

I honestly don't think the tracking is there yet.
When I met with the Fujifilm people during the X-T10 demo, they showed me the new focusing system that would track the subject front-to-back, side-to-side; and it worked fine.
But when I took the camera out, it didn't work as well.

Back focus...
Fujifilm X-T10 + XF 10-24mm f4R OIS | f/10 | 1/200 sec. | ISO-400 | 15.9mm (24mm equiv.)

Or maybe I still have to learn the proper settings and methods.

The face auto-detect (auto face detect?) worked well in some instances but not often.

Mural face
Fujifilm X-T10 + XF 10-24mm f4R OIS | f/10 | 1/25 sec. | ISO-400 | 24mm (36mm equiv.)
Oh, wow, that OIS really works

The camera snapped to focus this kid's face (above) very quickly but sometimes, it wouldn't detect an actual human being's face, especially when the subject isn't close by.

I had to manually set the AF point on the little girl's face
Fujifilm X-T10 + XF 27mm f2.8  | f/4 | 1/125 sec. | ISO-200 | 27mm (40mm equiv.)
She cute tho

By the time I locked focus on his face, he was already moving out of the frame
Fujifilm X-T10 + XF 27mm f2.8  | f/8 | 1/250 sec. | ISO-200 | 27mm (40mm equiv.)

Besides that, the AF, although good in good light, suffers in low-light situations.
There was a lot of hunting and I was much better off manually focusing, even with my unbalanced near/far-sightedness.

I was generally content with the autofocus of the camera; I just wished the special features (like the face detect and tracking) worked much better.

Image Quality

Yes
Fujifilm X-T10 + XF 10-24mm f4R OIS  | f/7.1 | 1/500 sec. | ISO-200 | 10mm (15mm equiv.)

Yes
Fujifilm X-T10 + XF 27mm f2.8  | f/8 | 1/250 sec. | ISO-200 | 27mm (40mm equiv.)

Yes
Fujifilm X-T10 + XF 10-24mm f4R OIS  | f/8 | 1/1800 sec. | ISO-400 | 10mm (15mm equiv.)

Haze? No.
IQ? Yes.
Fujifilm X-T10 + XF 10-24mm f4R OIS  | f/8 | 1/250 sec. | ISO-400 | 10mm (15mm equiv.)

Image quality?
HELL YES!

The straight-out-of-camera JPEGs were okay, but the processed RAW files are just spectacular.
It really is a wonderful feeling when you go out shooting and then come back in Lightroom to see such lovely colors, fantastic contrast and exceptionally great dynamic range coming from the processing.

Straight-out-of-camera RAW

Processed RAW
Fujifilm X-T10 + XF 10-24mm f4R OIS  | f/8 | 1/250 sec. | ISO-400 | 10mm (15mm equiv.)
Shadows brought up, highlights brought down, colors retrieved and the photo looks fantastic without any sign of after-processing quality drop

Obviously, the APS-C 16MP X-Trans CMOS II sensor lives up to the hype it's been getting ever since its release.
The fact that the X-T10 implements the same sensor and processor as the X-T1 just tells you how serious Fujifilm is in their camera production, and the photos are proof of this.

If I were to point any flaw in the quality (and this is TOTALLY NIT-PICKING), I would say that the skin tones aren't that nice without processing.

But seriously... Yes.
Fujifilm X-T10 + XF 10-24mm f4R OIS  | f/4 | 1/150 sec. | ISO-400 | 15.1mm (27.5mm equiv.)

High ISO

You may be expecting a positive comment on the High ISO performance, but I don't think it's that great.

Not looking
Fujifilm X-T10 + XF 27mm f2.8  | f/2.8 | 1/125 sec. | ISO-1600 | 27mm (40mm equiv.)

Still not looking
Fujifilm X-T10 + XF 27mm f2.8  | f/2.8 | 1/250 sec. | ISO-3200 | 27mm (40mm equiv.)

LOL
Fujifilm X-T10 + XF 27mm f2.8  | f/2.8 | 1/500 sec. | ISO-6400 | 27mm (40mm equiv.)

Now before you think I'm wrong for saying it isn't that great, I admit that I would definitely see myself shooting up to ISO-6400 without hesitating.
But comparing all three photos above, it's clear that at ISO-1600, the photo has more dynamic range in the shadow area, and much less grain (not noise).
At ISO-3200, it starts to lose that dynamic range (look at the color of the face) and begins to introduce fine grain (still not noise).
When it gets to ISO-6400, it loses much of that great dynamic range we saw previously and starts to display a lot of grain.

Now, I say grain instead of noise because it simply just doesn't look like conventional noise.
In fact, I'd say that it has that film-type grain, and if I were to process these photos in black & white, they would look like scans from a roll of HP5 or something.

So, yeah; acceptable high ISO performance, but with some reduction in IQ.

Is This Camera For You?

What's ironic about this section this time is I kept asking myself this question; because I really do want this camera.

It suits my personal style of photography: simple, undemanding and can be taken anywhere & everywhere.
Truthfully, I've been charmed by its unassuming, plain design and comical rectangular shape.
A lot of times, I chose to carry the X-T10 around rather than the X-T1 because of its lightness and compactness.
To be able to fit in a relatively large sensor in a small body means that I acquire optimum portability without having to compromise quality; and that is unbelievable.

But damn, it don't come cheap, yo

It also doesn't come with a leaf or a stool

I believe that I am not meant to dive into the mirrorless market just yet.
My decisions are based on work needs and I have to keep my budget for the things that I have to buy for my work, which include lenses, external flashes, extra bodies, newer bodies etc.

The Fujifilm X-T10 retails for around RM3,338 (source: Fujifilm Malaysia), while the X-T1 goes for about RM4,648 (source: Fujifilm Malaysia).

You: But what about Canon?
Me: Who cares about Canon?

LOL JK. Canon, please lend me a camera.

Quite a high price for both the cameras, but for the X-T10, it's still within the boundaries of reason since you do get most things you would want from a DSLR in the same price range.
The only thing is that if I (or anyone already invested in a system) wanted to pick up a Fujifilm body, I would have to start to invest in the lenses, as well.
Of course, adaptors do exist, but they have been known to reduce autofocus speed and tend to cause mechanical issues.

So, despite my admiration and adoration for the Fujifilm X-T10 (and more so for the X-T1), I know that it just isn't rational.

However, with that being said, there is still the option of picking up the Fujifilm X100T, which I just might if I ever run into some money because I really have fallen for the X-series system.

Even though I know that Olympus offers much more functionality-wise.

So I guess you could say... Olympus has fallen.

Conclusion

I wish I got them in black, though

I personally think that everyone should take some pointers from Fujifilm.

Sure, the video quality sucks, but everything else is amazing.

Fujifilm has me throwing fits from time to time because the system is just so good.
Even the menu was easy to understand!
The operations, the design, the functions, the performance and, the best of all, the image quality make this system one of the greatest I've used, so far.

But I do admit that I couldn't take the cameras on a real photo assignment as I did with the Olympus E-M5 MkII, so I may have not had to grind them as hard or demanded more from them like I did during the ATC shoot.
But then again, that's just it.

With the Fujifilm cameras, I didn't feel like doing "work".
I felt like I just wanted to go out and shoot the things I see.
My senses were heightened, my imagination ran wilder than it has in a long time, my body just couldn't stop thinking of the next thing to shoot or the next project to take on.
I was compelled to be more of a creator more than a documenter; to create a story rather than to just recall an event; to make a moment, live the moment and capture the moment.
And that made me feel more than just a reviewer, more than just a media writer, more than just a "blogger".
It made me feel like me, like who I'm supposed to be.
I can't wait for what's to come from Fujifilm.
From my talks with their people, we can expect a new sensor in the next release (probably the X-Pro 2), improved video quality, and more selection of lenses (telephoto lenses, prime lenses).
I would suggest that they improve more on the AF capability (especially low-light) and also improve the front & rear dials on the X-T10.
The WiFi function works really well and I had so much fun with it.
In the end, I was generally happy with both the X-T10 and X-T1.

I just wished they gave me more lenses to shoot with; or at least the 50-140mm f2.8.

Here, I would like to send my utmost gratitude to the people at Fujifilm Malaysia for lending me both the X-T10 and X-T1 for a full two months.
You guys should take the time to check out their Facebook page and website, which are constantly updated with promotions, news, reviews and much more.

Also, as I mentioned at the start of the entry, here is my review video of the Fujifilm X-T10.
Follow me as I do some street photography in the city of Johor Bahru:

Shoutout to my brother and partner Fariq for filming me.
Follow him on his Instagram here.

Check out all the photos from this review and more at my Flickr gallery here.

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to read this review and hopefully watch my video.
If you have any suggestions, questions or feedback, leave a comment below!
Until next time, take care.

DISCLAIMER: I do not represent Fujifilm, Olympus, or any other brand that might be showcased/mentioned in this review. This review is written for THE FEAR and is of no significance to any sort of argument that may or may not ensue. I deliver this with utmost honesty and sincerity.

Comments

Robin Wong said…
Well written review! Comprehensive and informative, well done Firdaus!

I have not had experience with the XT10 but I am surprised by some of your remarks: 1) high ISO performance, 2) 2) You do not like the skin tone color from the Fuji 3) Focusing is still not quiiite thereeee yet. Knowing well that Fuji shouted about their incredible X-Trans Sensor for low light shooting, their supposedly awesome colors and improved focusing on XT10!

Btw, your shoulder bag, SubUrban Disguise? I HAVE ONE!
feardaooz said…
Thanks for the feedback, Robin!

1) The sensor isn't the worst thing in the world (better compared to my Nikon D7100, which I always use for low-light shooting), but it is still not as extremely impressive as some might make it out to be.

Some other factors could be taken into account, such as lighting (artificial/natural/back-lit/mixed) or the amount of detail needed to be retained. It could be that the sensor performs better in different low-light situations.

2) I did not like the skin 'tones' because they weren't as smooth as I'd like them to be. But I feel that skin tones and colors are different; in the sense that with skin tones, there is a certain gradation that the sensor should be able to capture (blotches of highlights on the skin are too obvious), while with colors, its mostly the vibrancy and true-to-real-life rendition. For the latter, the Fujifilm sensor does quite spectacularly.

3) This baffled me as well, especially after actually seeing it in person! I guess there is a certain methodology I have to painstakingly adhere to to get the wanted outcome. The only time I got my tracking right was when I reviewed the Nikon D750 with the group-area AF.

Also, my review isn't the be-all and end-all of evaluations. As with the Olympus E-M5 MkII, some problems that I faced here could best be described as "isolated incidents". Even so, I did do my best in delivering an in-depth look into the camera, so there may still be some things Fujifilm has to figure out.

I love my Suburban Disguise! I got it for my birthday last year!